As the bank account empties, the cupboards empty as well. Not much left over at the end of the month – if anything?
I suffer from Myagic Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and recive only ESA; which is not enough to live on; I’m slowly sliding into debt.
Planning a budget isn’t easy when you the price of everything is going up. I was on a high protein diet avoiding stodge like bread and pasta. Basically meat and lots of veg; that realy help me with Energy levels but the idea of fresh meat, even tinned fish, or fresh veg has gone out of the window.
One thing I can do – sort of, I’m not saying I’m good at it, I can make bread. While there is flour in the cupboard; the price of flour doesn’t make it a cheaper option sometimes! However I have discovered (at least with my limited bread making skills) that the budget flour availible in some super markets makes on diffirence. (That is the bread is as bad as usual?)
This is no nonsense, no mess job. No bashing or Kneading either! I use a simple recipe, skipping any ingredient I haven’t got:
- 1 Cup Water (Can be replaced by fresh or sour milk. I only buy full milk)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Margarine (can be replaced by Oil (Olive,vegatable, or Sunflower etc.)
- 1 tablespoon honey or yeast extraxt or black treacle
- 2 teaspoons of sugar [Balance with what you haven’t got in the way of honey etc.]
- 1/4 cup powered milk (can omit if you are using milk anyway)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons bread yeast
- 3 cups of any flour
You will need a large bowl and a bowl scraper or large spatula.
- Sling it all in a large glass bowl. Go easy on the water or milk; adding this gradually.
- Fold everything together slowly using the bowl scraper.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl pressing into the centre.
- Add reminder of liquid
- Fold in gently until all the ingredients are in
- Leave bowl in warm place with damp cloth covering
- A warmed oven (but not hot, not on!) is better than sun light, leave the door of the oven a jar
- Leave for 40-60 mins leaving time for the dough to rise or double in size; leave for 10 mins extra if not risen well. (should smell yeast.)
- Bake in centre of hot oven, 350 degree heat for 30 mins. check with knife – no stick dough should be left.
- Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Great fresh, keeps me going a day or two!
Please vist these blogs:
Please support Indiegogo Project to keep me writing: